Who we are
Migrant Action is an Advocacy and Rights based organisation providing information, guidance, advocacy support and direct practical assistance to vulnerable migrants. We work to ensure equity of rights and justice for vulnerable migrants. Migrant Action’s work is focused on migrants who do not fit into the ‘neat’ categories of migration including those who have fallen through the cracks of the immigration system. We do not work with asylum seekers and refugees but signpost them to the appropriate agencies.
Service provision for non-asylum seekers is undefined and limited. In Leeds, migrants seeking information, guidance, advice, advocacy and integration support struggle to find where to go to for help. Many vulnerable migrants are confined to the ‘edges’ of society and face daily, the real risk of exploitation, destitution, child poverty, detention, forced removal and deportations without access to justice. Vulnerable migrants with entrenched complex needs encounter restricted access to service provision which has far reaching implications for their health and well being. Migrant Action is set up in response to this gap in service provision working with other vulnerable migrants who are not asylum seekers.
By delivering early and proactive interventions, we aim to reduce vulnerability across categories of migrants and navigate positive pathways to integration. Through the support we offer, we combat and help to reduce the effects of the government’s increasingly ‘hostile environment’ policies on the people subject to these policies. Working in partnership with other agencies, we ensure positive choices and pathways for migrants, better access to justice, reduce vulnerability and exploitation, increase integration and contribute to wider system and social change.
Overall, Migrant Action is working to help create an environment whereby migrants feel welcome, equal and able to thrive.
How do we do this?
We adopt an early intervention, prevention and proactive in our work with migrants.
- Provide a welcoming and safe space
- Provide information and guidance to help migrants make informed choices
- Help migrants to navigate and access good legal/immigration services
- Provide advocacy support and facilitate access to mainstream services
- Support integration- help migrants navigate community and social networks, training, volunteering, employment and other pathways for social integration
- Activism- Working with other agencies to advocate and influence policy and social change
Who do we work with
- Vulnerable migrants (victims of trafficking & modern slavery, People on temporary visas, unaccompanied minors, visa over stayers, undocumented/irregular migrants, people with insecure immigration status and anyone who is unsure of their immigration status
- New migrants ( EU and Non-EU migrants)