Who we are
Service provision for non-asylum seekers is undefined and migrant-led pathways for advocacy and social integration is limited. In Leeds, migrants seeking information, guidance, advocacy and integration support struggle to find where to go to for help. Many vulnerable migrants are confined to the ‘edges’ of society and face daily, the real risk of exploitation, destitution, child poverty, detention, forced removal and deportations without access to justice. Vulnerable migrants with entrenched complex needs encounter restricted access to service provision which has far reaching implications for their health and well being.
Migrant Action is set up in response to this gap in service provision and seeks positive pathways for facilitating migration and integration. We are an advocacy and integration based organisation working with vulnerable and non asylum seeking migrants. We welcome and enable migrants express their migration issues in a safe and confidential space, explore options and choices in order to make informed decisions. We provide information and guidance and support migrants to access services. Migrant Action does not provide immigration advice nor legal advocacy, but work closely with legal and migrant rights services to protect and defend migrant rights and justice.
Through our work and working in partnership with other agencies Migrant Action seek to influence migration policy and social change.
How do we do this?
We adopt an early intervention, prevention and proactive in our work with migrants.
- Provide a welcoming and safe space
- Provide information and guidance to help migrants make informed choices
- Help migrants to navigate and access good legal/immigration services
- Provide advocacy support and facilitate access to mainstream services
- Support integration- help migrants navigate community and social networks, training, volunteering, employment and other pathways for social integration
- Activism- Working with other agencies to advocate and influence policy and social change
Who we work with
Migrant Action is set up to work with Migrants who are NOT asylum seekers.
- Vulnerable migrants (trafficked victims, unaccompanied minors, refused asylum seekers, irregular migrants and others who do not fit into the neat migration categories)
- New migrants ( EU and Non-EU migrants)